Powered By Blogger

12 de abril de 2012

Salma Arastu








Biography:
I have been painting for thirty some years. I have traveled and extensively, from India to Iran to Kuwait to UK, Germany and to US. And last year I have moved from Bethlehem Pennsylvania to the East Bay. I have lived for long periods with amazing people and fascinating communities. Folk art, miniature art and Arabic Calligraphy are three strong influences on my art, adopted along my journeys. All textures and all colors are assimilated on my surfaces. I am creating a body of work of through continuous, lyrical line, to express joy in the universal spirit that unites humanity.

Undefined energy inspires me to fill the surface of the canvas with moving lines and penetrating textures. I apply layers of colors and then embroider with pen and ink. It is an ongoing process. The different layering materials that I use bring out subliminal images.
In my present works the theme is people. Crowds of people, moving together, merging together, in groups, conversing, dancing or arguing. People of all lands with their colorful fabrics and intimate gestures, lyrical movements and intricate patterns.

Some works are direct influences of Indian folk or miniature art. Others are total abstracts. In my efforts, I have tried to bring Eastern spirituality, and western techniques of painting learned over the years. Through the contrasting elements in my work, I yearn and search for unity and when that unity or balance is achieved, it brings about a tranquility and joy.

Salma Arastu

No hay comentarios.: